ANAK is pleased to present its fifteenth annual “Liwayway Scholarship for Leadership Excellence” to Filipino-Canadian students in Grade 12, who demonstrate a commitment to preserving and promoting Philippine heritage.
Two (2) scholarships of $500 will be awarded in June 2021
To be eligible for this scholarship, the applicant must:
- Provide official school transcripts demonstrating a B (70% or 3.0) grade point average or better in three 40S courses (including English)
- Review the following resources:
- Beardy, Ryan. “Family matters: Home is at the heart of the Indigenous prison crisis.” The Globe and Mail, 30 Oct. 2020, https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-family-matters-home-is-at-the-heart-of-the-indigenous-prison-crisis.
- “Black Lives Matter Toronto calls for police defunding, protesters charged.” CBC Radio-Canada, CBC News, 19 Jul. 2020, https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1765588035817.
- Chung, Amy. “In 2021, Asian Canadians Document Hate Crimes To Be Believed.” The Huffington Post, 1 Mar. 2021, https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/anti-asian-racism-canada_ca_603d08cdc5b682971502118f.
- “If taking a knee was a genuine gesture, it would be followed by concrete action, says professor.” CBC Radio-Canada, CBC Radio, 8 Jun. 2020, https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-june-8-2020-1.5602912/if-taking-a-knee-was-a-genuine-gesture-it-would-be-followed-by-concrete-action-says-professor-1.5603135.
- Manalo, Alfonso R. M. “’The China Virus’ Anti Asian Discrimination during COVID 19.” Youtube, uploaded by Alfonso Manalo, 27 Mar 2021, https://youtu.be/Y9BPwNc_KAA.
- Ward, Dennis. “‘Spirits of our ancestor’: Shoal Lake 40 is rectifying a century of hardships.” APTN National News, 24 Nov. 2020, https://www.aptnnews.ca/facetoface/spirits-of-our-ancestor-shoal-lake-40-is-rectifying-a-century-of-hardships.
- With reference to at least three of the references and using the MLA style guide, complete a 500 word (2 pages double-spaced) typed essay in response to the following question:
- How do racial biases in the Filipino community manifest in your daily life and in what ways are you complicit?
Download the application now!