July 16, 2012

What feels like yesterday?

by Kezia Malabanan(Published in Pilipino Express July 16-30)


ANAK Scholarship recipient Patricia Reyes
with ANAK Director Daisydee Bautista
In 2007, my (second, like most immigrants who came at the same age I did) high school convocation came to pass. I have very vague recollections of the day. I don’t remember how many people were in my graduating class nor do I remember what the keynote’s words of encouragement were. I was just looking forward to summer of that year. No, it wasn’t because I’m getting a break before university starts in September. It was mostly because I can’t wait to go to a summer course! That year, for the first time, ANAK awarded the Liwayway Scholarship for Leadership Excellence. The award entitled five high school graduates from three different schools to attend the first Philippine Studies university course in Canada. I was one of the very fortunate five. I thought it was quite amusing that my first Canadian university credit was going to be on my cultural heritage. That memory feels like yesterday.

Elizabeth Rivera with her ANAK Scholarship
and High School Diploma
Now, for its sixth consecutive year, ANAK awarded the Liwayway Scholarship for Leadership Excellence to two high school graduates. This year’s recipients, Patricia Reyes (Garden City Collegiate) and Elizabeth Rivera (St. Mary’s Academy), were awarded scholarships to be used towards their post-secondary studies at the University of Manitoba. Both took part in the extensive selection process that included a critical essay and a group interview. Not only do they excel in their academics, they also demonstrated keen interest on their Filipino cultural heritage during the group interview. I hope they continue to question and pursue our cultural heritage and make for themselves the identity that most suits them. Congratulations to our recipients this year!

Congratulations to the Class of 2012!

Kezia Malabanan is a member of ANAK. For more updates from ANAK, you can visit www.anak.ca or email us at info@anak.ca.