ANAK is pleased to present its fifteenth annual “Liwayway Scholarship for Leadership Excellence” to Filipino-Canadian students in Grade 12, who demonstrate a commitment to preserving and promoting Philippine heritage.
Two (2) scholarships of $500 will be awarded in June 2021
To be eligible for this scholarship, the applicant must:
- Provide official school transcripts demonstrating a B (70% or 3.0) grade point average or better in three 40S courses (including English)
- Review the following resources:
- Beardy, Ryan. “Family matters: Home is at the heart of the Indigenous prison crisis.” The Globe and Mail, 30 Oct. 2020, https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-family-matters-home-is-at-the-heart-of-the-indigenous-prison-crisis.
- “Black Lives Matter Toronto calls for police defunding, protesters charged.” CBC Radio-Canada, CBC News, 19 Jul. 2020, https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1765588035817.
- Chung, Amy. “In 2021, Asian Canadians Document Hate Crimes To Be Believed.” The Huffington Post, 1 Mar. 2021, https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/anti-asian-racism-canada_ca_603d08cdc5b682971502118f.
- “If taking a knee was a genuine gesture, it would be followed by concrete action, says professor.” CBC Radio-Canada, CBC Radio, 8 Jun. 2020, https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-june-8-2020-1.5602912/if-taking-a-knee-was-a-genuine-gesture-it-would-be-followed-by-concrete-action-says-professor-1.5603135.
- Manalo, Alfonso R. M. “’The China Virus’ Anti Asian Discrimination during COVID 19.” Youtube, uploaded by Alfonso Manalo, 27 Mar 2021, https://youtu.be/Y9BPwNc_KAA.
- Ward, Dennis. “‘Spirits of our ancestor’: Shoal Lake 40 is rectifying a century of hardships.” APTN National News, 24 Nov. 2020, https://www.aptnnews.ca/facetoface/spirits-of-our-ancestor-shoal-lake-40-is-rectifying-a-century-of-hardships.
- With reference to at least three of the references and using the MLA style guide, complete a 500 word (2 pages double-spaced) typed essay in response to the following question:
- How do racial biases in the Filipino community manifest in your daily life and in what ways are you complicit?
Successful applicants are subject to an interview process via Google Meet
on June 3, 2021 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Download the application now!
Application Deadline: May 31, 2021